Main Content


Q. What can I do if I see a creek is blocked by downed trees or debris?

A.  Creek blockages should be reported to Lee County Division of Natural Resources at tel. (239) 533-8109 as soon as possible.  The County recognizes the importance of keeping the main creeks functioning in order to avoid potential flooding of upstream properties.  Staff can assess the situation and determine the best course of action.   

Q: The North Fort Myers SWMP recommends raising road elevation in a few locations to reduce road flooding. Does this cause flooding of private properties?
A: Increasing road elevations alone may cause an increase in water levels upstream if the road is currently overtopped during a storm event and carries water downstream and the rise in elevation prevents this from happening. However, it does not always cause flooding. For example, if increase in water levels stays within the banks of the creek it will not cause flooding of properties. In addition, if the project also includes adding culverts, pipes, bridges or other crossings to compensate for water that overtops the road, no rise in water will occur. In NFSWMP study the consultant ran a hydrologic and hydraulic model to analyze and compare the water levels before and after elevating the road and adding culverts etc if necessary. Through this exercise and on-site field verification the consultant confirmed that there are no impacts to private properties due to increase in road elevations.  In situations where water levels increases after elevating the roads, the consultant recommended having stormwater retention ponds to store water generated by the higher road.

 Does the county plan to acquire property through condemnation for creating stormwater ponds?

No. The county does not have any plans to use its condemnation authority to acquire land for the purpose of creating stormwater ponds. The consultant did not recommend specific parcels for creating ponds. The recommendation was for stormwater ponds at the general vicinity of the road to be raised. The county may work with willing sellers if the location of the parcel is suitable for construction of the stormwater pond. There may also be alternatives that could provide similar benefit and can be investigated as the plan proceeds into implementation stage.

Q: What can residence do to alleviate flooding in neighborhoods?

A: Water flow can be somewhat analogous to traffic flow. The County’s responsibility is to keep the main trunks open with sufficient capacity similar to having to keep the interstate flowing during peak times.

If neighborhood water doesn’t reach the main trunks of a creek, that water tends to impound within the neighborhood causing flooding. This is similar to having traffic jams within interior road systems. The attached photograph demonstrates a typical situation where poor maintenance contributes to neighborhood flooding.  When culvert and roadside ditches are non-maintained, sediments transported within stormwater flow tend to fill the roadside ditches and culverts causing neighborhood flooding.

 Poorly Maintained Culvert.jpg 

 Fence Covered In debris.jpg 

 Overgrown Flow way.jpg